This is a Living Page, more & more Information will be added as it comes to Me*
Some Common Tools
The Cauldron – Anything can symbolize the womb like vessel of a traditionally Ceramic / Metal Alloy / Iron Cauldron.
- Used for mixing, burning, boiling, scrying, collecting & countless other acts one may typically use a vessel of any kind for.
- Commonly placed upon Ones’ Altar or to the left, grounded to the floor, if room is not had.
- One of the earliest & intact ‘Cauldrons’ we have is the Gundestrup Cauldron from the 2nd or 1st century BC (Gundestrup, Denmark).
In regards to Altar Work :
Boline – Commonly White Handled & Commonly used to symbolize the Divine Feminine (this changes a lot within customs worldwide, please feel free to contribute other uses & meanings!) with its Crescent Moon reminiscent blade. I personally use mine as a kind of ode as well as to harvest the herbs I use in my Craft & Concoctions.
Athame – Commonly Black Handled & Commonly used to symbolize Masculine Energies. To Cut or to Direct a knife holds a wonderful amount of power as well as is capable of serving many uses.
Shiva Shells – These Calcified Disks that many Shelled Animals know as their Protective front door, we also know as a sort of token of Protection. Featured in Amulets & Jewelry Worldwide, these little treasures can also be easily found on just about any coast One can comb. Traditionally (but not contained to-) they offer a gift of good luck to travelers and fishermen who may know these Aquatic Gems as “Mermaid Money”.
I am reminded of the not-so-linear Time & Space we find ourselves bound to by their surreal & sublime spiral.
Florida Water – an alcohol based concoction used traditionally to Anoint & Cleanse. Being that it is alcohol based, it not only cleanses, it disinfects! Use this to cleanse your Statues & Tools, anything that Alcohol will not damage really.
Free your space of dust & demons!
There are many uses for Florida Water within both the Spirit World & that of the Mundane. For example, it is used as an aftershave & was once known as the Worlds’ Most Popular Perfume as well as being praised in Victorian times for being an appropriate fragrance for All.
Feel free to visit the Concoctions page for a simple & traditional recipe for this fragrant Tonic*
A history of the Florida Water we all know & love by the Perfumers themselves! https://floridawater.com/pages/about *
Witch / Spirit Balls – Spheres seeping with folklore ; within our modernity, these decorated & stuffed spheres serve as a protective charm for the home or wherever One may exist.
As far as their tradition dates back, around 18th Century England, these Balls were used to distract or to capture ‘bad’ Spirits. Traditionally they would feature metallic strands or glass ‘stringers’ within the glass sphere as a way to entangle or trap the Negative Members or Forces of the Spirit World.
Forms of Divination
- Anthomancy – by Flowers (floriography / floromancy).
- Botanomancy – with / through Plants.
- Carromancy – reading candlewax & how it melts / flows
- Cartomancy – using a Deck of Cards.
- Chalcomancy – from the Latin Calix, ‘Communion Cup’; interpreting the sounds of Copper or Brass when struck.
- Dactylomancy – Discerning Traits from One’s Fingers / Rings.
- Geomancy – Reading Objects that have been cast onto the Earth (Floor, Ground, Rug…).
- Necromancy – with the help of the Dead.
- Oenomancy – through the Taste or Appearance of Wine.
- Pyromancy – divination by Flame.
- Sortiledge – pulling an object out at random from a collection of objects (i.e. cards, charms, toys even)
- Thumomancy – by One’s own Spirit / Soul.
- Topomancy – by Geography / Geological Locations.
Latin Terms & Phrases
- Solve et Coagula ; Solve, the Breakdown of Attachment to the Body & Coagula, the Strengthening of Attachment to the Soul.
- Coincidentia Oppositorum ; ‘Coincidence of Opposites’ or the Unity of Opposites. The Notion of Non-Duality in a Deep Sense. “Cold things grow hot, a hot thing cold, a moist thing withers, a parched thing is wetted” – Heraclitus
- Fiat Lux ; Let There Be Light.